History of EV's

EV’s Youth Centre located at 212 Mt Dandenong Road Croydon was originally opened by the Premier of Victoria, the Hon. John Murray as the Croydon Mechanics Institute on 29 October 1909.  To mark it’s 100th anniversary, Maroondah City Council’s Youth Services Team organised a range of community celebrations to reflect the use and patronage of the building over the past century.

 

The building has had many name changes over the years including the Croydon Mechanics Institute, the Croydon Hall, the Croydon Entertainment Centre and is now known as EV’s Youth Centre. It has had many varied functions and purposes over the years, and has been at the centre of community life in Croydon throughout it’s history.

 

The hall has been used for a multitude of different purposes including as a:

Ø  Town Hall

Ø  Library

Ø  Polling Station

Ø  Cinema

Ø  Blood Bank

Ø  Dance Hall

Ø  Venue for War Celebrations

Ø  Immunisation Centre

Ø  Theatre

Ø  Youth Centre

 

The building has touched the lives of thousands of our local residents over the years, and the 100th anniversary celebrations aimed to capture some of the stories about the building over it’s long and colourful history.

We produced a short film to capture some of those stories which is available on YouTube here.