Sleeping rough?

Everybody deserves a safe and affordable home to live and sleep in. Some people can find themselves without a safe and affordable place to live for a range of reasons. This could be due to violence, sexual assault, drug and alcohol abuse, overcrowdedness, relationship breakdown, family problems, gambling, unemployment or a lack of affordable housing.  All these problems can cause you to become homeless, and if not addressed can lead to ongoing homelessness.
If you don’t have anywhere to stay tonight, call the state-wide crisis accommodation service on 1800 825 955. This number is available 24 hours a day. During 9am - 5pm Monday to Friday it will direct you to your closest Opening Doors agency and after these hours and days it will direct you to the St Kilda Crisis Centre.

Crisis Accommodation:

'Opening Doors' agencies state-wide.

An initial point of contact for people who are homeless, at risk of homelessness or experiencing violence at home. They will help provide short-term crisis accommodation and then support you to find somewhere safe to stay in the long-term.
Free call: 1800 825 955

In the City of Maroondah Wesley Homelessness and Support Services are the local 'Opening Doors' agency. Wesley Homelessness and Support Services are located at 291A Maroondah Highway Ringwood (opposite Ringwood Lake)

You can contact them directly on 9887 4000

There are 4 other Opening Opening Doors agencies in the Eastern Region:

  • UnitingCare Harrison: 1012 Little Burwood Hwy, Wantirna South
  • Anchor: Building LA. Level 2, 1 Jarlo Drive, Box Hill Institute Lakeside Campus, Lilydale
  • Community Housing Limited: 9 Prospect St, Box Hill
  • The Salvation Army Eastcare: 16 Church St, Hawthorn

Frontyard Integrated Youth Services - Melbourne Youth Support Services

What: Frontyard Integrated Youth Services is state-wide telephone information and referral service for young people offering face to face and telephone services. Can help out with accommodation issues, legal issues, drug and alcohol issues, 'limited material aid', training and employment. Melbourne Youth Support Services is a specific state-wide drop-in and telephone information and referral service for young people at risk of homelessness between 16-24 years of age.
Where: Frontyard: 19 King St, Melbourne
Phone: 9614 3688


Further Help

  • St Kilda Crisis Centre  1800 627 727 or (03) 9536 7777

Supported housing:

Office Of Housing

What: Government-supported housing available for young Victorians experiencing homelessness, unsafe, or unhealthy living conditions.  Selection criteria and waiting time applies.
Where: 25 Ringwood Street, Ringwood
Phone: 9871 5199

Community Housing Limited (CHL)

What: Affordable long-term accommodation from single units through to share housing. Depends on availability.
Where: 26-28 Prospect Street, Box Hill
(Can also meet people at offices in Lilydale, Ringwood, and Wantirna)
Phone: 9856 0050


Looking to move out?

Getting a private rental property can be difficult. There are many people looking for houses (or units and flats etc.) and landlords tend to prefer tenants with a stable income, those with rental experience, mature applicants, and sometimes those without pets. For your first time ‘out of home’ you might find it easier to get shared accommodation (That is, renting a room in a share house with other people). When renting, you generally need to sign a contract and pay a bond. It’s also important to fill in a condition report as soon as you move in. If you are on Centrelink payments the rent must be less than 33% of your payments.

There are many things to consider before signing the rental contract. The price is an important factor, however you should also consider how well you think you will get along with the other people living in the house, your roommate’s lifestyles, the house’s facilities, it’s size, the noise factor and how close it is to school/uni/work, shops, and public transport (For more information about renting go to or

Searching for shared accommodation and private rental is often easiest online. It could also be worth checking out the windows of real estate agents, community notice boards and local newspapers for rental properties in the area. Here are a few websites to get you started on your search for the right home:

Tenants Union of Victoria


What: May be able help you to fill in forms or agreements related to your tenancy, advise you on specific problems (e.g. repairs, rent increases), negotiate and advocate on your behalf with your landlord or real estate agent, and assist or represent you at the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal.
Where: 55 Johnston Street Fitzroy


Advice - phone (03) 9416 2577


Advice - email email advice

Admin - phone (03) 9411 1444

Admin - fax (03) 9416 0513

admin - email